Enrollment Resources


This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

When do I enroll?

Log in to your Student Center through MyUW and check the box on the right – it will tell you the earliest time you can enroll.
Enrollment seasons fall around November (for spring semester classes) and April (for fall semester classes). Generally, the more credits you’ve taken, the earlier you can enroll. Certain courses may be open earlier to certain majors who are required to take that course.


How do I enroll?

You will enroll classes with the Course Search & Enroll App, which can be found in the Academic Navigator widget in MyUW.
See the Registrar’s Office list of Demos & Tutorials.

Do I have to see my advisor before I enroll?

In most cases, no. However, we strongly encourage you to check in with your advisor at least once a semester and before enrollment is a good time to touch base to make sure you’re on track for graduation.

Also, remember that your advising appointment during enrollment season may be different from an appointment outside of this time.
During enrollment season you will meet with you advisor to plan your courses for the next term, and your conversation will mainly focus on this topic. This is why it can be helpful to check in with an advisor during non-peak season so you can have some bigger picture conversations about getting involved, your graduation timeline, achieving your academic and career goals, etc.

What is a hold and how do I get it removed?

A hold is a freeze on your student account that prevents access to course enrollment and/or your transcript. Holds can be put on your account at any time for a variety of reasons, such as:
  • Needing to meet/check-in with an advisor
  • Needing to pay a fine or tuition
  • Needing to return library books
  • Needing to officially declare your new major and notify your former advisor of the change
Holds are visible in your Student Center tile in MyUW.  Select the Student Center tile, Academic Records, then Tasks.  Click here for more detailed instructions. You should contact that office well in advance of the date you’re able to register for courses to find out what you need to do to remove it.

Why am I on a waitlist?

You’re on a waitlist because the class you tried to enroll in is closed/full. If other students in that course decide to drop it, the students on the wait list will be contacted in the order that they signed up.
Closely watch your @wisc.edu e-mail for a message from the department that you can add the class. Check in often, as you may only have a window of 1-2 days to add the class!

How do I drop or swap a class?

How do I get into a closed class?

If a class is closed and there is a Wait List available, you can add yourself to the Wait List.  Here are some step-by-step instructionsIf there is no Wait List option available, talk with your advisor to see if they have suggestions for gaining access to the closed class and/or finding another class.

The course is listed as 3 or 4 credits. Which should I take?

Some classes may give you the option of taking the course for either 3 or 4 credits. Check the class notes to see if a reason is given as to who should take what number of credits and why – for example, grad students may be required to take 4 credits, while undergrads might be required to take 3.
If there is no reason given and you’re struggling with this option, here are a few questions to ask yourself:
  • What is the difference in workload?
  • What are my educational goals for taking this class?
  • How many credits will I be taking?
  • Is there a particular credit range I’m working toward? (e.g. 14-17, etc.)
  • What other commitments or obligations do I have for next semester?
Advisors encourage dialogue around these types of decisions so don’t hesitate to seek input! If you’re still unsure after discussing and weighing your options, it might be helpful to enroll for the 4 credit course and consult your instructor the first day of classes.

How do I find a good class?

Here are a few questions to ask yourself as you search the Course Guide for a course that’s interesting and engaging:
  • Is there a particular topic or issue I want to learn more about?
  • Is there a particular set of skills I want to develop or explore?
  • Does the course help balance out my other courses?
  • Does the course offer a teaching format that is different than what I’ve experienced in other courses?
  • Is there an instructor I’ve heard great things about?
  • Does my graduation timeline play a role in the search?

Take courses that make sense in your academic program, or that you have a true interest in. Generally, you are more likely to do better in courses you are engaged in, no matter the subject.

What happens to my financial aid if I drop a class or withdraw from the term?

Dropping or withdrawing from classes may or may not affect your financial aid for the current term or your aid eligibility in future terms. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements for details.
If you have questions about the impact on your financial aid if you drop a class or withdraw from a term, we encourage you to speak with a financial aid counselor and talk to your assigned advisor about how the decision will affect your graduation timeline.

How do I enroll for transfer credit this summer at another university?

First check to see how the credits will transfer back to UW-Madison.
For UW System schools
For MN or IL schools
If the course is not listed in either of these sources 
Submit a request with the Office of Admissions Transfer Credit Evaluation Service (CES) before you enroll. Then, contact the prospective university’s Office of the Registrar, Admissions or Student Services Office for details on their registration process.

How to I register for an independent study?

Ideally, you would register for credit through your professor’s department, and the process for doing so varies by department. Usually, it involves contacting someone in the department’s office and completing a form. Start by asking your professor if they would help you get started. If your professor’s department doesn’t offer independent study credit, check in with your advisor.

How do I get credit for an internship?

If you have a declared major, first check with your department to see if there is a course for credit or independent study option.
Look into L&S 260, another option open to all UW students (regardless of major). L&S 260is a 1 credit, online course  while you complete your internship.
And if you are looking for an internship abroad, the International Internship Programcan provide you with advising and resources to help you get started exploring opportunities, applying for scholarships, and getting course credit.

How do I know if I'm enrolled in the "right" courses?

Plan ahead by mapping out your graduation timeline. If you haven’t already done so, make sure you schedule a meeting with your advisor well before or after enrollment season (November and April) to map out your graduation timeline.
Check your major’s graduation timeline. If you’ve declared a major, check if your major has a graduation timeline. You can generally find this on your department or major’s website.
Look over your DARS Report. Check through your DARS Report in your Student Center and see what classes you have left to take, and plan ahead by seeing what pre-requisites you’ll need for future classes.